VUU.CULT

SAVE FERRIS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VUU.CULT

SAVE FERRIS

VUU.CULT

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
dont miss the next vuu gtg all v.a.g welcome

+24
MattTDI
MalC
g60bron
R.darkdub
MkIISimon
Kevin20v
Deano
ChrisLeeds
SimD1978
charlierooz
Dan
andyp
lee
spen
mrvrs
Redsquare®
ad24gti
boothy
dsmithmobile
Jezz
mrgarf
sam_16v
sarah
Geeman
28 posters

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9

Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Number of posts : 5283
    aka : Giles
    Registration date : 2007-02-15

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Empty The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9

Post by Geeman Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:14 am

I've done a few more things to the old girl... so I thought I'd take a few pics as I'm out in it again today.

Bonnet bra courtesy of SimonMkII, chrome grille dressing, boot rack, and various small internal mods not shown.

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Jet5my9

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Jet6iz8

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Jet7bd6

Just getting excited now about the 16v transplant. It'll be like a new car!

Woo hoo!

I'm thinking the next mod is a set of coilies... going to slam it so it's more or less un-driveable! Got the daily in the form of the A8, so why not...

Then, after selling the VR, I'll treat it to some fresh paint, it'll be a lovely shade of burgundy leather for the interior... yum yum.

Can't believe it started off life with me looking like this...!

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 454ee51f8b57cae5a167c28b8982a653 The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 3d5c5b78f711922c1a2aca61555172aa

Last edited by Geeman on Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:44 am; edited 8 times in total
    sarah
    sarah
    mrs hardwork

Number of posts : 4089
    aka : mrs hardwork

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Empty Re: The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9

Post by sarah Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:28 am

looks cool gee loving the bra and boot rack Cool

one thing thats gotta go is that tow bar What a Face
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Empty Re: The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9

Post by Geeman Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:30 am

Sarah... yeah, I've got a replacement bumper for it... so when it's time to paint the whole car, that'll be going on with the exhaust cut-out deleted.

I've also got some OEM roof-bars courtesy of Sam, so I'll be making a retro rack for that sometime soon too.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:07 am

Nice Smile

Did'nt you already have a build thread to add this too though dude, makes better reading if you can see the beginning Smile
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:14 am

Never had a build thread for this, so here it is... in short form. Will add more when the donor arrives...

What started off as a £250 daily runaround kinda evolved as time has gone by into being my little toy. It served a purpose when I was strapped for cash and had to sell my other cars and have just this one. Now that I have a few other cars, this is going to be something I keep for a long time as it deserves to be looked after, just as it looked after me when I needed it!

So, it started off life with me like this...

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 454ee51f8b57cae5a167c28b8982a653 The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 3d5c5b78f711922c1a2aca61555172aa

...with the original yucky, but comfortable, original interior, plastic steering wheel, dodgy stereo with foobarr'd speakers and boring original pedals...

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 9a61914490f9e4228ec66649321b016b

Then I got it home, blacked the trim, cleaned it up, changed the wheels and lowered it (a bit), clear indicators, etc... usual start-up stuff.

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Jetta2kt1

I then refurbed some Audi A3 Pepperpots and slapped them on...

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Pepssmallpy3

... then lowered it some more, sourced a GTi interior from various places, leather wheel, chinese handles, etc...

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Gtiinteriorzo5

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Spoliersmallqh2

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Sidesmallnr2

Then I thought I'd treat it to a proper pampering session where I clayed it, polished, waxed, etc... then took some more pics...

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Cool_112

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Cool_212

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Cool_311

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Cool_411

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 Cool_510

I've just bought a damaged Corrado 16v so in two weeks time, the old 190k 1.8 carb engine will be replaced with a shiney new 16v one. Can't wait!

Last edited by on Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:19 am

Looks wicked Smile Love it !!
    sam_16v
    bingo ball

Number of posts : 1554
    aka : downsy
    Registration date : 2007-03-19

Post by sam_16v Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:24 am

love this car

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:47 am

nice build thread = quality motor!!
    mrgarf
    mrgarf
    site modder

Number of posts : 2464
    aka :
    Registration date : 2007-07-15

Post by mrgarf Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:28 am

coming on well gee, your jetta is turning into a legend, fell pvw beckons
    Jezz
    Jezz
    Admin

Number of posts : 6293
    aka : Rev. work
    Registration date : 2007-02-14

Post by Jezz Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:32 am

gee best car you have owned since ive known u people love it me being one of them

will rock with the 16v init

promise me that you will not fall out with the jetta during the transplant
    dsmithmobile
    dsmithmobile
    site modder

Number of posts : 2260
    aka : Dan
    Registration date : 2007-02-21

Post by dsmithmobile Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:48 am

Love the Jetta,keep up the good work Very Happy
    boothy
    boothy
    site modder

Number of posts : 1633

Post by boothy Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 am

yeh you have kept it longer then 2 weeks gee- it must be love!!!

she is a beaut- love the new mods, esp the rack. wheres the front plate? i actually prefer it on.

shes uber cool and refined, not ott

utilise the towbar!!! get a retro trailer!!!!
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Joe... I prefer it on too now, it breaks all the black at the front up... but I'm racking my brains as to how to fit it without it falling off, like it kept doing.

Chrome VW badge, or keep it black?

Jez... promise me and the Jet will still be best friends during the transplant. No falling out, or kicking, or swearing... lol

Mat... Legend? Hardly! lol

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:57 pm

proper cool i love it man...have done since u started with it! likin the new ad ons
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:59 pm

Graeme, kinda glad I didn't sell it to your brother in the end now!

It'll only get better with the new engine in.

Need to get the VR shifted so I can really give it what it needs.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:01 pm

am glad u didnt he wud have ruined it hahahahaha
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:42 am

Corrado bought and picked up and in mates unit ready for work.

Work is commencing Saturday 9th February.

Clutch kit purchased (or will be) from Sam (thanks bud!)

Fuel lifter pump for petrol tank has been spied on Ebay, so fingers crossed it will be mine.

Not much else to get. Got my eyes out for shiney stuff, but more important things like gaskets and bolts will be purchased first!

Getting excited!
    boothy
    boothy
    site modder

Number of posts : 1633

Post by boothy Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:53 am

so have you got any longer term plans gee? i.e Carbs?
    ad24gti
    ad24gti
    super vuu

Number of posts : 627
    Registration date : 2007-02-16

Post by ad24gti Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:54 am

Looks great

How hard is the vr splitter to fit?
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:01 am

Joe... 2.0 litre bottom end maybe...? Throttle bodies...? Just wanna get it running first, then think about future mods later.

Adam... it was a right pain in the bum as at the time, the front end was a fag paper off the floor! Would have been much easier to take the bumper off and turn it upside down and work on it off the car.

You'll have to cut a lot of the VR splitter off the back as it's too long for the sides, plus you have to move the 'curve' closer into the middle of the front which requires making a new 'corner' by splitting the inside of the new corner.

Then you'll have to modify the fitting tabs as most of them fit, but the ones round the side do not. Ended up having to use some 'other' way of attaching it to the sides... screws!

Would like to do another one to make it a bit neater, but got higher priorities at the moment!

You'll understand what I mean when you get round to doing it!
    ad24gti
    ad24gti
    super vuu

Number of posts : 627
    Registration date : 2007-02-16

Post by ad24gti Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:17 am

Cheers

Sounds too much work for me haha as i can't get the bumper off for some strange reason does look good tho
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:51 am

So...

Thanks to Lee's help (cheers buddy!) the 16v motor is now in, complete with Corrado wiring, fuel lines, pump and lifter pump. It's coupled up to the Jetta's original gearbox with a GTi clutch in place. This was mainly due to the Corrado having a hydraulic clutch. More unnecessary work to make that system viable!

It turns over, but there's no spark which I'm assuming is a wiring fault. SO, armed with wiring diagrams I've down-loaded, I'll tackle this at the weekend.

The Corrado exhaust downpipe WILL NOT fit onto the 16v manifold now it's in the Jetta... there's not enough room for it... it's off to one side for some reason, even though the 16v motor is attached to the original Jetta gearbox and using the original mounts. Strange...

Anyway, a replacement part arrived today (8v downpipe with no silencer) so there should be more room to play, along with a stainless middle section, again with no silencer so when running, it should sound pretty sweet. Once on, I can then tow it back home so I can play with the wiring... will post pics at the weekend.

16v discs, pads, calipers and carriers ready to go on the front, but I obviously need some new/replacement 16v / GTi hubs to bolt them to as the original Jetta hubs don't have carrier brackets on them. Grrrrrrr!

Last edited by on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
    Redsquare®
    Redsquare®
    site modder

Number of posts : 932
    aka : Berty Bright Lights™
    Registration date : 2007-02-19

Post by Redsquare® Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:54 am

Nice one Gee, Will be bloody loud Very Happy Cant wait for pics Cool
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:56 am

New chrome grille badge too. lol!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 am

Get some pics up!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 pm