VUU.CULT

SAVE FERRIS

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

VUU.CULT

SAVE FERRIS

VUU.CULT

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
dont miss the next vuu gtg all v.a.g welcome

+24
MattTDI
MalC
g60bron
R.darkdub
MkIISimon
Kevin20v
Deano
ChrisLeeds
SimD1978
charlierooz
Dan
andyp
lee
spen
mrvrs
Redsquare®
ad24gti
boothy
dsmithmobile
Jezz
mrgarf
sam_16v
sarah
Geeman
28 posters

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9

sarah
    sarah
    mrs hardwork

Number of posts : 4089
    aka : mrs hardwork
    Registration date : 2007-02-15

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9

Post by sarah Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:04 am

wahoo cool gee fire devil
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Number of posts : 5283
    aka : Giles

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9

Post by Geeman Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:41 am

Will get pics up over the weekend, but the bay ain't pretty. Want to get it running properly first, then I'll start making it look better under the hood.

For now I'll be happy with it just starting!
    mrvrs
    mrvrs
    super vuu

Number of posts : 705
    aka : brett
    Registration date : 2007-04-09

Post by mrvrs Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:10 pm

good stuff bud hope you sort it out

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:29 pm

liking lots Very Happy
    spen
    spen
    site modder

Number of posts : 373
    aka : mr detail
    Registration date : 2007-02-16

Post by spen Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:14 pm

Cool Love the Jetta Gee. Chrome trim grille looks cool too. Cool
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:47 am

It's alive I tell you, ALIVE!

With a few simple changes (jumper cable, blown fuse and power feed to fuel pump) it's up and running! I'm well chuffed.

Got to secure the ECU and power amplifier to an earthed mount point, cure a blowing exhaust and get some new plugs, then I'll take her for a spin. Need to build up confidence with the engine before I try any long distance journeys, so I had better hurry up!

With only the back boxes on, it's actually not too loud.

Turns out a Corrado downpipe is very different from a Golf one. Thought they would have been the same...

So hopefully, this week it'll be back on the road.
    lee
    lee
    site modder

Number of posts : 698
    aka : lee lee

Post by lee Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:53 am

nice one g ( i told you it was pish) well chuffed for you mate

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:46 am

iye nice one gee Very Happy
    dsmithmobile
    dsmithmobile
    site modder

Number of posts : 2260
    aka : Dan
    Registration date : 2007-02-21

Post by dsmithmobile Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:49 am

Glad to hear you got it up and running Gee and look forward to seeing it at a meet soon
    sarah
    sarah
    mrs hardwork

Number of posts : 4089
    aka : mrs hardwork

Post by sarah Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:26 am

nice one gee so when we gonna see it??
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:38 am

I will tidy it up tonight so I can take it for a spin up and down the road to see what's what, though the trottle mechanism doesn't have a strong enough return spring at the moment, so got to sort that out, otherwise I might have a few problems! Think it might be because I'm still using the original Jetta cable instead of the Corrado one... so I might try and source a Mk2 Golf 16v cable... are they any different?

Anyway, as soon as it's out on the road, there'll be some pics and maybe a few visits!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:29 am

might have a throttle body for you but im planning on practice polishing the insides ready to do mine Rolling Eyes
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:40 am

The trottle body is fine, it's just the spring/cable I need to play around with...

But thanks!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:11 am

awesome! i was wondering if you had it running yet! sounds good, see it at the next meet then Very Happy
    sam_16v
    bingo ball

Number of posts : 1554
    aka : downsy
    Registration date : 2007-03-19

Post by sam_16v Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:54 am

16v ftw! go giles
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:09 am

First road-test successful!

Leaking exhaust, funny burny smell (think it might be clutch), constantly buzzing fuel pump (is that right? I think not), wiring to tidy up and no power steering. I think I might have forgotten to fill the PS reservoir up after the install, so will do that tonight!

It sounds a bit raspy, but I think that's because it's leaking a little.

Apart from that, all systems go!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:29 am

great! enjoy you new car Very Happy lol
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:55 am

I pushed the Jetta a bit last night and had 120 out of it without too much trouble (that's off the clock on the Jetta dash!), with some more to go.

Not as fast I had thought it was going to be though. Still got to sort the leaky exhaust and put new plugs and dizzy cap on... hopefully that'll make it run smoother. The weekend will see it right.

Engine not getting hot though, the temp needle only sits between zero and a quarter. scratch - as a result, the heater doesn't push through hot air... only luke-warm.

Also, the fuel pump is buzzing ALL the time. Should it do that? It does it when you put the ignition on for a second or so, then stops, but when the engine is running it's buzzing all the time.

MUST sort out brakes and suspension now!!!
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:19 am

Here's some up-to-date pics from this weekend.

I've kinda taken it 'back-to-basics' for the time being. No rack, bonnet bra or alloys and instead a new set of G60 steels.

Please excuse the state of the engine bay... it's more functional for the time being while I remedy the small niggling issues I still have, then I'll set about tidying and cleaning it so it's more presentable. The most important bit is that it's working and running! All that's left now is some coil-overs, deleting of the tow-bar and some paint.

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 - Page 2 Jet1vn2

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 - Page 2 Jet2ny3

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 - Page 2 Jet3hf4

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 - Page 2 Jet4yo8

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 - Page 2 Jet5ys5

The Jetta - Rack 'em up - new paint - pg. 9 - Page 2 Jet6ti7
    Jezz
    Jezz
    Admin

Number of posts : 6293
    aka : Rev. work
    Registration date : 2007-02-14

Post by Jezz Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:29 am

it looks top mate sounds like you have a few niggles to sort but id be proud to have done that

get the rack and bra back on suit the jetta well they did

I STILL SPY TOW BAR MR GEE
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:39 am

Yeah, I know... the tow-bar will be removed when it goes in for paint as the replacement (rare) genuine rear bumper is black, so I don't want to put it on as it is.

I am pretty chuffed that it's now got a new engine. It was a lot of hard work getting it in and sorted. I know lots of people will say "Oh, it just bolts straight in" - but take it from me, it's not the case! Yes, the mount points and gearbox all just bolts in, but it's the fuel supply and wiring that took the time. It took one LONG day to get the Corrado stripped of the bits we needed, stripping the Jetta, then replacing the wiring and fuel system and then bolting the new engine and gearbox (with new clutch) in was very exhausting. To be honest, we could have got it sorted in one day (7am - 11.30pm non stop) but I was so tired by 11pm that we called it a day and went back the next day to get it finished, bar the wiring fault.

Lee was a star. without him Jason and I wouldn't have got it anywhere near complete. I really appreciated his input, not just on the day, but with info and help leading up to it as well. Cheers fella!

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:40 am

NICE

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:42 am

Geeman wrote:I pushed the Jetta a bit last night and had 120 out of it without too much trouble (that's off the clock on the Jetta dash!), with some more to go.

Not as fast I had thought it was going to be though. Still got to sort the leaky exhaust and put new plugs and dizzy cap on... hopefully that'll make it run smoother. The weekend will see it right.

Engine not getting hot though, the temp needle only sits between zero and a quarter. scratch - as a result, the heater doesn't push through hot air... only luke-warm.

Also, the fuel pump is buzzing ALL the time. Should it do that? It does it when you put the ignition on for a second or so, then stops, but when the engine is running it's buzzing all the time.

MUST sort out brakes and suspension now!!!

do you have mfa what oil temp you reading? mine sits at around 67-70, at least she aint overheating Very Happy
    im pretty sure it should buzz to keep fuel pressure up!
    Geeman
    Geeman
    site modder

Post by Geeman Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:52 am

No MFA I'm afraid... just using the original Jetta clocks. The Corrado ones wouldn't fit, so I've no idea what oil temp I'm running.

Buzzing is LOUD though.

One other thing though... engine temp doesn't go above a quarter... most of the time, no where even near it!

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:16 am

neither does mine sits just around the 1st mark, for a valver i cant see that being a bad thing as people seem to have alot of trouble with them overheating

how is your fuel pump mounted? solid to the chassis? mine iirc is mounted on with rubbers between the car and pump assembly, im guessing to absorb some of the sound!?!? i can bearly hear mine in car, but that could be due to leaking exhaust Embarassed lol!

Last edited by golf mk2 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 pm